Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sunbrellas

When last I checked, umbrellas were supposed to be pulled out in the rain. And in Seattle, you never pull them out. We can spot a tourist a mile away…usually because of the giant golf umbrella protecting a bob from the gentle mist of the Northwest.

Umbrellas, in other words, are for wuss wagons (and the Wicked Witch of the West, natch).

So how much farther down the pansy-ass food chain do you fall when you pull out an umbrella on a sunny day? (FYI: This is a rhetorical question.)

You may not be aware of this but there’s this new invention. It is sort of an umbrella that fits on your head. It even frees up your hands! It’s called—wait for it—a hat. Genius, don’t you think? And if you miss your dumbershoot, you can get one of these.

Now I understand if you have a sun condition like those pale kids in The Others but if you’re a hipster in a vintage dress and a paper parasol, not only are you blocking my view of a beautiful day, you’re chapping my already-chafed thighs. I could lose an eye on a rainy day. I really don’t want to get poked by a spoke on a cloudless one. The eyepatch will leave a tan line.

(photo: amandalithuania2009.wordpress.com/category/video/)

9 comments:

Sara said...

I like the way you think. The worst is at an outdoor event like you have pictured. I mean, really?

Junque Rethunque said...

dammit! I've been looking for a vintage dress AND a paper parasol... you ruin everything.

Anonymous said...

I totally use an umbrella in seattle when it's raining. I can't help it! I have that horrible hair that frizzes in the rain. Thatnks for reminding me how unhip I really am...

Eveline said...

There are 'parapluie' against the rain, and 'parasols' against the sun. I like portable shade.

Chris said...

dumbershoot. hehe.

What I can't stand is when people won't wear hats because, 'I can't wear a hat because it will mess up my hair'. WHAT? No one cares about your hair. And if you do, don't go outside. Stay home. We prefer it.

bint alshamsa said...

This is a hard one for me, because I am one of those folks who must use an umbrella outdoors. I have a condition that makes me allergic to UV-rays. I'm also a mom, which means I don't really have the choice to just stay indoors every day until the sun goes down.

I can't even count how many times jerks have come up to me and questioned me about why I'm using an umbrella on a sunny day. For some reason, there are quite a few white people who think that having brown skin means you don't have to worry about sun exposure and feel the need to come and tell me about this (mistaken) belief.

Meh, I mostly ignore it. One "That's not something I discuss with strangers" and they usually wander off. Perhaps, people who ask complete strangers questions about their medical conditions merit an entry here. :)

Jennifer Worick said...

Bint Alshamsa: I'm so sorry to hear about your allergy. I'm always thankful I'm not allergic to common things like garlic or wheat. The sun would indeed be a problem.

Unknown said...

stop being an ignorant plonker, unlike you those that use umbrellas in the sun wont age like the proverbial prune. get over it

Unknown said...

stop being an ignorant plonker, unlike you those that use umbrellas in the sun wont age like the proverbial prune. get over it