Monday, July 2, 2012

Passwords

Every since I was a wittle gurl, I liked security. In the form of my binkie, my mother's bedtime kiss, a sturdy deadbolt. And I thought passwords were the shit. They were currency into the cool kids' clubhouse, sometimes literally.

And then…the internet. In its infancy, I could use one password—a pet's name, some iteration of my birthdate, a word that always makes me giggle—for everything.

And then…now. With secure office servers, viruses, hackers, and just plain annoyingly efficient websites requiring frequent password resets, my mind and my secret codes are a jumble. Some are written down in various notebooks, some are trapped in my mind, hanging out on the trashheap of other lost memories like the last name of that nimrod boyfriend who always kept his gum tucked behind a molar when kissing me, and some are plopped God knows where on my laptop. 

Technology is supposed to make life easier, not remind me at every turn of how old and infirm my mind is becoming. 

macdaddy18
MacDaddy2000
TIWTPITF2012
TrueLove1
Haircut100
LakersRule86
IH8Scrabble
FUpassword
Butterfield8 
maisoui123

No, they're not vanity plates. These are my desperate attempts to find the right combination to unlock my iTunes/Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest/LinkedIn/Microsoft/GoogleYouTubeFlickr/bank/investment/online retailer account. Maybe I should just reset everything right now to Amnesiac4ever.

Don't talk to me about security questions. I'm too busy trying to remember my family's first phone number.

(art: sync-blog.com)

7 comments:

KW said...

Yes, this is very annoying. Some take numbers, some don't, some take althernate punctuation, some don't. And my freaking work requires a min 13, capital letter, and a number every 2 months. WTF?!

Jennifer Worick said...

You must work where I do. :)

sam said...

Security questions are equally as annoying.

Jennifer Worick said...

Don't I know it? http://thingsiwanttopunchintheface.blogspot.com/2010/01/security-questions.html

Anonymous said...

But then you'd forget you were Amnesiac4ever,lol.

I write it all down in a small address book. It's very handy for when I forget some password to some thing.

Valynne said...

Passwords. Meh. That is all.

Anonymous said...

Ugh! I hate having to change my passwords at work. Now I just think of a random word and throw some numbers at the end. Current password: Whatever## I was pretty annoyed at the time.