Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Premature holiday merch


I walked into my local grocery store the first week in January and saw something deeply disturbing. No, it wasn’t the boxes of Sweethearts or the heart-shaped box of chocolates so big it could double as a sled.


It was the box of Cadbury Eggs.


It was the first week of January. Easter falls on April 24.


I adore these fondant treats…around Easter. I’ll break any lenten chocolate ban for a gooey Cadbury Egg. However, getting thrown into a palette of Valentine’s Day candy (which the checker told me was the case) doesn’t exactly invoke feelings of love. In fact, quite the opposite. I want to beat Cadbury until it oozes Caramello.


Every year, folks yammer on about the Christmas candy and decorations they see popping up at Rite-Aid in October. Uh, they show up at the exact same time every year, Einsteins…which is far too early. Send the rotten eggs packing and shove those candy canes up your North Pole. Let’s get through one holiday before exploiting the next.

6 comments:

Author said...

Gosh, I hate when the holiday crap hits the store shelfs 5 months in advance. I saw V-day stuff couple days after Christmas at Walmart. Why do stores do that? They fear they will run out of nasty, cheap chocolate in February? No one buys that crap unless it's for those last minute gifts for people you don't like, (guilty of that).

Anonymous said...

Same thing happens here in Australia. Xmas is barely over and hot cross buns hit the shelves.

We are now having eggs come along but our Easter isn't until April, so we have a ways to go.

robdotcom said...

I impulse bought reese easter eggs...

Eveline said...

We had Christmas suff in the shops from about September, and the first Easter items were brought in on Boxing day! By the time the actual Holiday starts you're already sick of it.

I especially had Christmas food items that expire in November, so you have to buy them again if you would like to have it for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Hate, hate, hate this! My birthday, anniversary and Halloween bring on the dreaded holidays for us. Thanksgiving. Then Christmas. I also have 3 birthdays in January (one happens to be ON New Years Day), 1 in February as well as Valentine's Day and 1 in March. All this before Easter. Stop shoving your sh*t down my throat!!!

Yarni Gras! said...

here (in South Louisiana) the bathing suits were out BEFORE Christmas! Nothing says ho ho ho like seeing the latest bikini fashion in your stocking?