Friday, July 16, 2010

Last-minute cancellations

Things happen. Viruses rear their ugly heads at the most inopportune time. Food poisoning, bad day at work, a hangnail, a new episode of Glee—shit comes up. And while this blog may be evidence to the contrary, I think I’m a pretty understanding gal. I don’t mind if you cancel because you were felled by a migraine (in fact, I did this a couple of days ago).

Just don’t make a habit of it.

But when you bail on me yet again an hour before a concert and leave me with an extra ticket, I am not quite so forgiving. When you blow off my party with a wuss text as things are getting under way, it’s not okay. When canceling late in the game becomes the rule rather than the exception, you either need a full medical workup and are possibly contagious or you’re just fucking lame.

Either way, not cool.

Man up. You made a commitment so unless you're suddenly puking in the ER, show up. Wear a face mask, stuff cough drops and Kleenex in your pocket, do what you have to do. Just don’t keep opting out at the 11th hour, or I might have to opt out of our future plans to be friends.

(photo: onefinephilly.blogspot.com)

8 comments:

mduette said...

Hear hear!

I think we all have friends like that. I wondered once, idly, if I should keep a diary of all the 'ghost-adventures' that never happened. Seemed a worthy tribute.

Heather said...

Love it. I have one friend who this became a perpetual habit with. It got to the point where I said she had to pick times, days and where we were going so if she cancelled I could say that she had picked it and was stuck.

Stephanie said...

Thank You! I wake up on time (early) to go meet a friend for walking and she texts me in the a.m. to say her hubby wants her to stay home and snuggle...WHAT???

Anonymous said...

So you would rather have friends who are sick or uncomfortable come to your party and ruin it for you and themselves by sitting on the couch moping/blowing their noses/spreading germs than cancel? Doesn't seem to jive with some of your other assertions on this blog (most of which I appreciate, by the way).

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.