Friday, March 19, 2010

Silk flowers

Mom, commenting on the décor of the trailer she bought in Texas for the winter months: “My goll, you should have seen this place when we bought it. It was filled with rag-nasty plastic flowers.”

Me: “Ugh, I hate those. I mean, what’s the point?”

Mom: “Yeah, I threw them out and replaced them with some really nice silk flowers.”

Me: “Uh….”

I love that my mother sees a marked class difference between plastic and silk flowers. To me, they are all the same: fake, non-fragranced doodads I have to dust. Why clutter up your home with bouquets of immortal meh?

I realize you may not be home long enough to keep a plant alive or you have a black thumb or you can't afford to buy cut flowers very often or your cat could die if he chewed on a lily, but here's my question: Why do you need anything at all? If you like the look of flowers, just get a print of some sunflowers or put a daisy magnet on the fridge. Don't clutter up the place with phony ferns and bogus pots of orchids.

Nip these faux-ers in the bud and leave them where they belong: in a retail garden (i.e. Michaels, aisle 7).

(photo: www.plasticbinsblog.com)

16 comments:

Unknown said...

I must admit I have a soft spot for kitschy fake flowers. My old Tiki themed bathroom was chock-o-block full of 'em.

Chris said...

I kind of like silk flowers, but not in huge amounts. Just one delicate freckle at the edge of a collage or cemented in spackle or something.

315 FOLLOWERS!?!!!?! Holy cow!

Okay, I HATE silk flowers. Scourge of the earth. The direct cause of climate change!

sweetypie said...

clearly you are reading my mind keep on moaning!

MoonDoggie said...

I also don't see the point.
What's worse is when people keep them so long that they're all covered in dust and crumpled with age. They actually begin to look like dead flowers.

Anonymous said...

Same goes for decorative candles that are never lit. Eventually the dust combines with the wax to make an object of true horror.

Jennifer Worick said...

Yet Another Steve: Excellent point. Dusty candles give me the shivers.

Unknown said...

I really needed to hear these anti-artificial flower views. I spend far too much time dipping bogus bouquets into sinkfuls of suds to refresh their looks. I also wash the tops of old candles, which I don't light too often because of my husband's smell sensitivities. I dream about spacious, airy, empty rooms, while I live with kitschy clutter collected for 70 years. I also alliterate too often, I know, but it amuses me.

Fanboy Wife said...

I have a fake flower on a hair clip, and I have some fake black roses that I use for a Halloween decoration, but that's it. I really don't like flowers that much and my home is cluttered enough as it is. I don't want to dust more than necessary.

Michaela said...

I love it when my house is filled with FRESH flowers--however, I did make one exception--a vase of red velvet roses, totally fake and totally pleasing.

Jennifer Worick said...

The flowers on the coffee table were silk???

Cameron said...

I am going to go out on a limb and agree with the comments from "touch". How very wise.

Jennifer Worick said...

Haha. It's probably someone trying to sell something.

Cameron said...

Yeah. Probably silk flowers.

SkitzoLeezra said...

The devil wipes himself with fake flowers and then sells them to Michael's!
Plastic, "silk", whatev: it's all shiteous.
Helpful hint by Skitzo Leezra
How best to clean silk flowers? In an empty 55 gallon oil can, a couple squirts of kerosene and a struck match.
~~You're welcome~~

Unknown said...

I love to use Flowers and Decorative candles in my house.I had some collection of scented candles http://www.craftsmanindia.com/index.php?categoryID=5&show_all=yes

philippines flower said...

Oh! Those flowers caught my attention! what a cool flower shop was that. Wish I can also have that kind of flower shop someday. Anyway, I've been looking for interesting topic as this. looking forward for your next post.

toni